Re: Address bar searches (was: epiphany-list gnome org)

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 09:05 -0700, Ryan Thiessen wrote:
> I can see the logic in what you are saying.  Perhaps it would make the
> most sense to throw everything with one word that contains a period to
> the error page -- gnome.ort and gnemo.org would get that -- but
> anything with a space or without a period that doesn't match a smart
> bookmark could go to a web search instead.  It sounds complicated, but
> it's really not.  Anything that looks like an URL would be loaded as
> an URL; everything else is either a smart bookmark or web search.
>
> Does this satsify your use case while still retaining Epiphany's quick
> and easy search method?

Unfortunately, no :(. While it *will* work 95% of the time, that makes
the times when it *doesn't* work all the more unexpected to the casual
user. The user won't be able to figure out trivially when he'll get an
error page and when he'll get a search results page. That makes Epiphany
unpredictable, which sucks.

Of course, compromises must be made; this solution seems at first glance
like it'll work better than others.

--
Adam Hooper <adamh densi com>