Re: Address bar searches (was: epiphany-list gnome org)

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 23:05 +0200, Kristoffer Lundén wrote:
> On 9/6/05, Joseph S. Huang <josephshuang gmail com> wrote:
> > A better way than disabling keyword search to fix #15848 would be to fix
> > the keyword functionality, by sending strings which start with a
> > protocol (such as http://) and don't resolve in DNS to an error page,
> > instead of doing a search. That's what I figure from reading the liked
> > Mozilla bug, anyways.
> >

> A problem with that is that many entered strings that are meant to be
> URLs don't start with a protocol. You enter 'gnome.org' or
> 'localhost', not bothering with the protocol. The current workaround
> for several browsers seems to be to identify everything with a dot
> present as an URL, even when they are clearly not, as in normal
> sentences with trailing space after the dot, or a string ending in a
> dot. Even taking that into account, it means that me searching for
> 'document.pdf' fails because it look like an URL - and on some
> internal companies LAN or in the future it might be a valid URL,
> further complicating matters.
>
> That's why I think it's intiutive to try DNS for everything that might
> be valid and if there's no hit, try a search instead.

What about "gnoem.org"? Or "gnome.ort"? I have personally typed both
several times. The best behavior in such a case is to present the user
with an error page and leave focus in the address bar, *not* to start a
Google search which will mangle my written-but-incorrect entry into the
search bar. (In other words, if I typed something incorrect, I want to
correct it: I do *not* want my browser to rewrite what I wrote -- for
example, putting an "http://google.org/search?"; in front -- before I get
a chance to fix it.)

I'm not presenting any new suggestions here; I'm just offering an
extremely common use case which nobody has taken into account yet in
this thread.

--
Adam Hooper <adamh densi com>