Re: Image loading policy

On Wed, 2005-06-07 at 20:38 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Adam Hooper wrote:
>
> > Open your browser to "about:config" and change the
> > "network.image.imageBehavior" setting:
>
> > Because of Epiphany's commitment to simplicity, I don't know if a
> > patch which showed this option in the preferences window would be
> > accepted. It shouldn't be hard to write, though.
>
> *If* we're going to include such an option, it would make most sense to
> have a checkbox in the View menu that remembers the state for each page,
> much like the Popup-setting we already have.

That would be great, except (as previously mentioned):

1. We have to figure out how to hide images which have already loaded
(as we do with popups).
2. (far more important, mpt already mentioned this) we have to figure
out how to load images without refreshing the page (Mozilla doesn't
provide an API to do this).

Failing to solve these problems would detract greatly from Epiphany's UI
consistency, and would ultimately make Epiphany a *worse* browser, IMO
(the user would not know which of Epiphany's options are applied
instantly).

I, for one, as a very-part-time Epiphany developer, would rather focus
my efforts on something I might actually use; I would never use such a
checkbox, so it would be a pain in the neck for me to develop. I'll bet
I'm not the only one who feels this way.

(However, if anybody finds elegant solutions to the above, please let me
know -- they would be perfect for adblock.)

--
Adam Hooper <adamh densi com>