Re: downloading images

"Download" seems to be the better default, it seems to be the more usual action. Why create a link to an image instead of simply downloading it?

Raphael

Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

Hi Mark,

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Ruddiger eVil wrote:

Just installed gnome and am using the epiphany browser since it is neat, But when trying to save an image, I click it and drag it to the folder I want to put it into, and for some reason it asks me if I want to download it? which is strange, and if I say yes, it downloads the image again, even tho it is on my screen, taking more time than necessary.

Thanks for your feedback!

The reason that Epiphany presents a dialog window when you drag an image or a link to a folder, is that there are two possible actions: either create a link to the (image) URL or download it. Epiphany does not know in advance which of the two you meant to do, unless you use a keyboard modifier: pressing and holding the Ctrl key while dragging the image to the target folder will download it immedeately. Pressing and holding Ctrl and Shift together while dragging will create a link.

I don't know if there is a good reason for downloading the image again or whether this is something that can be fixed in Epiphany (as opposed to Mozilla).

Question to all: shouldn't "download" be the default action, without further questions to the user, unless the drag target is the bookmarks editor? How often are Nautilus URL links used, anyway?