Download manager and proxies

Hi,

I want to thank you guys for the work behind Epiphany. I just got
acquainted with Gnome and its HIG guidlines by way of trying Ubuntu. I
had not used Gnome as such since somewhere around Red Hat 7.3, and
must say the change in policy is just spot-on.

I just took a look at your roadmap for 1.6 and beyond, and since I
didn't see these ideas there I thought I might bounce it off some
folks.

I like the idea of having a bunch of small and simple programs that
together make up a nice desktop. Wouldn't it be cool to extract and
somewhat outsource the download manager that exists in Epiphany into a
standalone application? That application could receive any number of
URI's from Gnome applications such as Epiphany and would serve them to
the user's desired download location on a first-in-first-out basis
where it would f.ex. just download 3 at once. That application could
later be modified to support things like torrents or whatever really.

Another thing that I feel would be would be a little online/offline
icon next to the security level icon that could have three settings:
offline, online no proxy, online with proxy. The last two essentially
toggling whether to use the Gnome proxy settings or not. That and a
chance to filter which URLs get proxied in Epiphany would make my life
easier.

Reason I'm concerned with proxy settings is that I live in a country
that has a download quota fee for foreign traffic, and hence most
people try to avoid paying it by accessing domestic proxies that are
run by their friends and neighbours. So being in control of whether
you are using a proxy and actually being able to visually ascertain
whether you are using a proxy is quite important, cause the penalty
for downloading something without it being proxied is a fine. :-)

If either of these ideas make any sense to you guys, I promise to
spend some of my free time implementing them.

Please CC me in a response, since I read your list via archives.

Henry.