Re: Update on automatic hierarchical bookmarks

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 23:17, Adam Hooper wrote:
> The concept definitely appeals to *me*. I haven't looked at the patch
> yet, but I'd be curious to find out whether it would be possible to make
> it into an extension. It's a small chance, but if so, then you won't
> have to worry about patching :). And if not, then we should know what
> parts are impossible so we can improve the extension system.
>
> I'll look into it when I've got the time.

I briefly looked into making an extension before. I would like to write
it as an extension, but there are some problems.

First, to do it, you'd need to allow an extension to operate as a
bookmark-menu-generator. While this should be easy I heard rumours about
a move to a Gnome-wide bookmarks system before. I was worried that the
code to allow extensions to the bookmark system would be scrapped later
in a Gnome-wide bookmark system over-haul.

What I've written now could always be ported to another bookmark system
(it's mostly a proof-of-concept, making minimal change to the bookmarks
system). If an extension framework is written I would very quickly port
this to that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at the moment that there's
been no significant changes to the bookmarks code in CVS which would
break my patch. :)

--
Peter Harvey <pah06 uow edu au>
SITACS, University of Wollongong