Re: Popup Blocker UI

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Adam Hooper wrote:

> | webpage-"specificity"(sp?) of the popup blocker, unless you'd alter the
> | content of the menu depending on which tab has focus.

> I already do that. It's just like the 'Security' icon (nifty, since it's
> right next to it :P).

OK, I guess that's the most sane thing to do if you're using the
statusbar.

> Here we go:

*snip*

This is another use case than the one you described earlier, which
involved serious research. This use case is simple, you just want all
popups blocked. But imagine the p-b icon on the notification area in the
porn+research scenario. I still don't think that popups containing useful
information is a common case at all, but anyhow: the notification could
show for instance '5/2' with a tooltip 'blocked 5 popups on 2 distinct
pages', to clue the user that more is going on than he might think. (this
may be crack but I'm just spouting ideas)

> I was thinking maybe a more easy-to-find menu entry. The entry is a verb
> right now, whereas I consider it to be noun. Would, say, "View -> [x]
> Popups from this site" be better? I still don't think that's enough of
> an improvement though.

I couldn't think of something better at the moment...

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778