Re: Download manager and proxies

Hello Henry,

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Henry Baldursson wrote:

At any rate, I have started working on this. I decided this would be
as good a chance as any to get more familiar woth Gnome/GTK+ and GUI
programming in general, since I've never done that before.

That's great to hear! Keep us posted on your progress :)

Torrent kickbacks. The name of the project is gnome-file-broker.

If you put your code in GNOME cvs, the GNOME translation project can start working on translations as well.

I´m not sure from the usability standpoint which is better, to keep
the notebook containers or to have just a single window with pixmaps
and text style differentiating between the down/up/complete entries.

On the use of tabbed notebooks, see the HIG[1]. Personally, I think it would be best if you could get a back-end working first, then we could discuss a suitable UI later. Actually, I'm not convinced at all that gnome-file-broker needs its own window... :)

and some background in C++ and working with CORBA's IDLs, so I'm
hoping Bonobo won't give me any difficulties for things like drag&drop
and such.

Good idea. How about a panel applet that accepts dropped links?

I'm also going to try to do as little work as possible, and rely
mostly on existing code mainly because I am lazy.

Excellent example of intelligent laziness, I'd say. More code re-use means less maintainability headaches.

expecting to have is implementing torrent support, so I think I'll
focus off that in the beginning.

There is a project 'gnome-btdownload' on sourceforge, although it's python-based. You might want to look at that too, especially since python code will be accepted in GNOME modules (or that's the conclusion I draw from the desktop-devel discussion).

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/controls-notebooks.html

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			student of Artifical Intelligence
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778

   == Geen softwarepatenten in Europa! == www.NoSoftwarePatents.com ==