Re: Bookmark behaviour

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 16:29 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 16:26, Peter Harvey wrote:
> > What are the odds of having my bookmarks patch included in the main
> > source? Is there design issues against it (other than it's a bit
> > experimental at the moment)?
>
> That's something that could be considered only in the next release cycle
> (because of timelines). Personally I'd like to see people trying it out
> with their collections and commenting on how well it behaves for them...

So would I. Unfortunately, looking at the number of downloads, either
most people aren't interested, don't run Debian or don't like patching
software. Not too surprising really. Just not sure which reason is more
prominent.

My personal experience is (obviously) positive. There are some things
I've learnt though which might be useful.

I initially made multiple small topics (for example W3C which I used
only for Reference documentation from the W3C) to force a hierarchy upon
my bookmarks. In the end, this just doesn't work. Spending time
enforcing a hierarchy just makes things harder on the user. It bloats
the number of topics for a start, and didn't really make things easier
to find. For example, I'd go looking for HTML reference material, and
would have to first think 'Which division is it in?' - plain
alphabetical ordering is easier.

The bookmark system from Epiphany still seems to work best if you have
large topics which are not directly hierarchical but which simply
overlap. I recently consolidated two very small topics (Journals and
Conferences) into one (Publications) for this reason, and find my
bookmark collection easier to navigate and my list of topics is shorter
(making bookmarks easier to add).

So that's one persons experience. Can only hope for more. :)

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to the developers for Epiphany
(especially for the simplified interface and topic-based bookmarks), and
the opportunity to write patches. I'll submit a couple of bugzilla
entries tomorrow (one for a memory leak in the topics selector, and one
for the renaming of migrated bookmark paths).

G'nite,
Peter.