Re: Bookmark behaviour

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 14:02 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > Note: I still support the topic-based approach, and I'll continue to
> > maintain my patch as long as Epiphany uses it. But trying to support a
> > 'stop-gap' measure for other browser fans like this really messes up my
> > code. :(
>
> It's not meant to be a stop-gap. We surely have a migration problem and
> we need to do something about it.

IMHO the approach taken previously (ie. let the user sort it out) is
best. It forces the user to be introduced to the topic system. In some
ways the new approach in 1.3.x is very good as it provides a direct
mapping between Epiphany topics and Galeon/etc. folders. The problem I
see is that for a new user, the only observable difference between
Epiphany and Galeon/etc. is that "Epiphany shows the full path for each
folder, and allows me to select multiple folders per bookmark".

The concept of a topic just isn't there anymore. But maybe I've had my
head in my own patch for too long, and so to me a topic is very, very
different from a folder.

Anyway, my solution (using my patch) would be to create a topic for each
folder, and associate each bookmark accordingly. For example a
collection of bookmarks like:

Linux

 +-Redhat
 |  +-www.redhat.com
 |  +-www.rpmfind.net

 +-Debian
 |  +-www.debian.org

 +-www.linuxhq.com

would become:

www.redhat.com with topics Linux and Redhat
www.rpmfind.net with topics Linux and Redhat
www.debian.org with topics Linux and Debian
www.linuxhq.com with topic Linux

In most instances (if using the hierarchical bookmarks patch) you will
get a very similar menu to that shown in Galeon/etc. The only possible
dilemma is how to resolve topic name clashes (ie. if Redhat is used as
the name of multiple folders, you would logically combine them into one
topic - but this could result in a wholly different bookmarks menu).

I may one day implement this solution and include it with the current
patch - especially as you point out the migration problem is a real one.

> If there are specific problems we are causing to your code I'm surely
> available to discuss them.

I was just whinging - sorry, I tend to do that. The main problem for me
is that this creates two different systems for generating a hierarchical
bookmark menu. I just can't see a good way for my patch to coexist with
the current form of migration.

Regards,
Peter.