Re: [Epiphany] Re: lots of bookmarks: problem

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 17:49, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> I'm not convinced using threads would be a real solution anyway, having
> to wait to see bookmarks is not acceptable. There is already a patch on
> that bug and Rhythmbox had an hack for it, in the case the patch doesnt
> get committed to gtk 2.2 branch. We could also disable automatic
> sorting... but that would suck.

For bookmarks, that's certainly true - there is absolutely no reason I
should need to wait for sorting just 1000 items. Btw, searching the
"all" category is pretty much impracticable as well right now.

However, threads would help in other places as well. Just because one
window is busy thinking about something big should never mean any other
window should be blocked.

I think I've read about that gtk limitation as well. However, for almost
everything except perhaps this bookmarks problem (since it's a bug in
gtk itself), there's a workaround - do all work in background threads,
and execute a rendering loop only in the gtk thread.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi <oa@iki.fi>

This is a digitally signed message part