Re: [Epiphany] More Topic/Keyword/Folder madness! Oh, no!

Johan Forsberg <johan.forsberg.6117@student.uu.se> wrote:

> This seems to be a strange argument; if people *have* to do this in
> order to start epiphany, then that is an explanation to why they do it
> that way, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the "best" way? "Is" does
> not imply "should" :)

I think you missed the point...

> > Check out the View->Encoding->submenus in Epiphany! What to do, what
> > to do..
>
> I think epiphany's bookmarking system is an interesting UI experiment,
> let's concentrate on trying to find a optimal implementation of the
> "keywords" idea, and see how well it can work. There are dozens of
> browsers that do things in essentially the same, "old" way - I just
> don't see any need for yet another one. Just because the menu bar is
> hierarchical (a really deeply rooted design concept) doesn't mean that
> everything else has to work the same way just to be consistent. You
> have to start reforming somewhere!--

I never said to do away with the topics/dialog/toolbar/etc ideas. I'm
saying, the two systems could be put together, and it would work with
wonderful amounts of success, alienating no one.

The only points I've seen against this: difficult for someone to use..
The author, new users, etc. My point about the gnome menu and other nested
submenus counters this. Speed in building the menu on opening new windows.
Later discounted as 'implementation'. So there really is no reason left
to toss the menu out completly. I think it can be done right, with topic
dialog sidepane toolbar et al support. Everyone's happy. (holy complexity
batman)

--
Erik