Re: [Epiphany] More Topic/Keyword/Folder madness! Oh, no!

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 06:51, mpeseng@tin.it wrote:
> >Am I fighting a lost cause here?  Have I made my comments too late - Are
> >folders completely out of the question at this stage?
>
> There is not a stage ;) If anyone come with a good design we can move to
> it at any moment.
> What I dont want to do is to go back to a tree because it sucks less (I'm
> assuming it does, but I dont think so) and user are used to it (who is used
> anyway ?? How many people are using subfolders ?)

Well, in that case, I'm going to watch, wait, and let this all run its
course. :-)  We'll probably start finding out pretty quickly where the
bookmarks model and UI should be headed when Ephy is shipped using the
GRE, so people won't have to change mozilla versions just to try it out,
and thus we'll get plenty of feedback...

Which reminds me, perhaps I should start on a FAQ for some of this
stuff, so when we inevitably get deluged with questions about why we
aren't using folders, why we don't have features foo/bar/baz/etc, we can
stop the flamewars in their tracks (hopefully) by pointing people to the
FAQ.

Lastly, what do you think the odds are I could convince you of a
bookmarks menu?? ;-)  This is something I think would A) help alleviate
some of the problems of "it takes forever to access bookmarks in ephy
using just the mouse" and B) adds a lot of familiarity.  I've witnessed
a sizable percentage of users click Bookmarks --> Add Bookmark to add a
bookmark to their evil, hierarchical tree. :)  Putting "Bookmark Page"
under the File menu seems very awkward, IMHO.

 - jck

--
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man
progress depends on the unreasonable man."

 - George Bernard Shaw