Re: [Epiphany] Bookmarks system

Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpeseng@tin.it> wrote:

> You dont notice the slowness because you dont know it's building the
> menu (while you know it's building the dialog).
> I bet everyone noticed how epiphany is faster then any other gecko based
> browser to open new windows though. One of the reasons is that we have
> not to build a bookmarks menu.

Just tried to see, opening about 10 new windows with both galeon and ephy.
ephy is less than 1 second faster. Either browser takes 2-3 sec. These are
Maximized windows on 1024x768. Ctrl-N opens a blank page on both.

> Tabs should not substitute the window manager. I understand that in the
> past using tabs has been also a solution for performance problems, but
> that's not good IHMO. One more reason to make Open window faster.

It was never a solution to performance problems. It was an addition of
convenience. Performance increase was a side-effect. How much memory does
10 tabs take versus 10 entire browsers? Toolbars and all.

> Only 433 Mhz here. At least you can be sure I'll want ephy to be fast
> enough on my box ;)

At least I'm not alone.. =)

> As I said before I think there is not much hope to get to an agreement
> about bookmarks/dialog usability, but I felt your feedback very useful.
> I guess the more productive approach about this particular issue is to
> improve the dialog speed and usability, while providing a way to access
> a bookmarks menu from the toolbar.

I just wanna say that I think this new topic system is quite intuitive, and
it's not really that I have a problem with. But if I can't easily _browse_
my collection, the whole thing is a wash.

--
Erik