Re: [Epiphany] Bookmarks system

Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpeseng@tin.it> wrote:

> Well I guess this it's just my feeling against your feeling here
> unless we get an opinion by someone really clued about usability :/

I'm not trying to be against anything. Just giving my thoughts on this
situation. I feel left out without the bookmark menu I've grown to love.

> > I think there is also a usability issue in frequently opening such
> > dialogs. Just in time wasted during this extra process. Might not
> > apply to most modern systems, but I don't feel linux is made
> > specificaly for modern systems either. The dialog takes aprox 2-3sec
> > to open and become usable on my system.
>
> I tried to avoid this since everything in theory can be made faster
> but ... I think the speed problems caused by the menu are far worst
> than those caused by the dialog. You have to build the whole bookmarks
> menu every time you open a new window. For the dialog you have only to
> build it when the user really want to access bookmarks and you fill
> the list only with the elements of the selected keyword.

Never considered building the bookmarks menu being an issue. I thought
menus generate quite fast, infact I've never seen it be a problem. Even
my fully loaded Gnome applications menu is fast. Dialogs of any nature
are cumbersome to create. Even the cookie accept/reject dialog is slow.
I think another point that could be made here, is tabbed browsing would
do away with this menu rebuilding. Right? Certainly didn't see this as an
issue in galeon with or without tabs. (Meaning I didn't see it, but I
do not have the capability to trace amout of time spent generating the
menus)

The dialog is currently being rebuilt every time. Ctrl-B, much time
spent locating bookmark, Jump To, Close, Browse.. Ctrl-B again..

> Obviously 2-3 secs are crazy, how many bookmarks do you have ? That
> happen only when All is selected ? It would be useful if you could
> open a bug about this.

Without inventing some magic awk|wc command, I'd have to say at least
150-200.

And keep in mind here, 500mhz with 256mb ram and a light (bluecurve or
default) gtk2 with AA fonts. This machine should be fine creating a
dialog. That aside, what of the slower systems out there? That's my
basis for feeling the dialog method is quite slow (being opened),
invasive (if left open), and cumbersome (difficult to "browse"). Mabey
on a 3ghz intel with rambus it seems not an issue. Forcing people to
upgrade is a microsoft-ism.

Do you feel I am a special case? If so I can back out of this anytime..
I'm beginning to feel that way. However, I just want to be helpful, in
pursuit of a better browser.

--
Erik