Re: [Epiphany] Re: "I feel lucky" preference on Address bar

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 00:31, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> I fully agree that a pref here is overkill. It seems that the arguments
> presented here focus more on people's dislike of the default, and would find
> google search more useful (and so instead of asking us to change the
> default, in true open source fashion they ask for a pref). I have to admit
> to being somewhat perplexed as it seems that most of the users who are
> complaining are those who would be most likely to use a bookmarks toolbar
> which includes a default google search smartbookmark.

Seems to me that the problem is that Google's "lucky" search doesn't
work right first time often enough for some people's tastes.  For me, a
huge improvement would be if it just did a normal Google search, letting
me decide how lucky I feel.

I actually see little harm in maintaining this as a pref, and I even see
constructive use cases beyond those discussed yet --  you could even say
it was a feature that, say, corporate desktops could use: the default
search being one for the company intranet.  Schools could use it
similarly to go to a "safe" search, or one within the campus intranet.

-- Edd

--
Edd Dumbill.  More from me at <http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog>
Managing Editor, XML.com, XMLhack.com; Chair, XML Europe 2003