[Epiphany] Re: "I feel lucky" preference on Address bar

Marcelo E. Magallon writes:

>  Now I ask myself what'd happen
>  if I tell her that she can type something in the location bar and
>  that'd trigger a google search.  My guess is she'd keep clicking on the
>  "google" button on the toolbar.  Face it: keyword search is an
>  "advanced" feature (just like smart bookmarks).  There are zero UI
>  hints about its existance.

In my OpenApplet, I use a tooltip when the user mouses over the text entry
thats pops up the following text:

"Enter a web address to open, or phrase to search for in your files and on
the web."

The text entry also has a label marked "Open:".

Epiphany could use a similar tip [1] and label. This would definately help
the discoverability of this feature.

>  > I'm not saying this should be disabled by default..
>
>  FWIW, I am.  I'm feeling lucky is a horrible default.  It has
>  non-predictable non-defined behaviour.  Futhermore, the user can't
>  override the computer's choice.

I'm somewhat mixed on this. The main reason i've stood so firmly on keeping
the current behavior is two fold:

1) google search is already available from the bookmarks bar.
2) I sort of like the url-less ui it creates. (Instead of knowing a specific
address, you can just type text that gives you the closes (sic?) match )

I fully agree that a pref here is overkill. It seems that the arguments
presented here focus more on people's dislike of the default, and would find
google search more useful (and so instead of asking us to change the
default, in true open source fashion they ask for a pref). I have to admit
to being somewhat perplexed as it seems that most of the users who are
complaining are those who would be most likely to use a bookmarks toolbar
which includes a default google search smartbookmark.

Anyway I am open to endorsing a change in the default if it is decided that
this is better for our target user base (of which I claim no one on this
list is probably part of [2]) but of course the final decision is up to
marco.

dave
[1] though I would drop the text about the files which incidentally doesn't
actually work, but i'm hoping it will in the future :)

[2] I think this is the inherent problem in open source development. The
users you wish to design for and reach are almost never the users who
interact on mailing list, use betas and file bugs. (considering that 90% of
web users don't use tabs, its pretty amazing how much time is spent in
bugzilla and on this list discussing them).