[Epiphany] Re: Page Snapback feature

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 17:49, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> Daniel Borgmann writes:
> > Hello!
> >
> > When I looked at this screenshot:
> > http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/screeds/safarisafari/05-bookmarks-history.jpg
> > the "SnapBack" thing caught my attention. First I wondered why Apple
> > would put something that obscure in their browser, but then I realized,
> > that I would use this feature all the time. Every time I'm viewing a
> > large list or overview of something, I open links in new tabs, not
> > because I want to read them later but because I want to be able to
> > quickly return to the overview page.
> > A good example would be reading a footnotes page with lots of comments,
> > a bugzilla list or browsing art.gnome.org.
> > Any chance that this will make it into Epiphany? It would make my day.
> > :) And it shouldn't even be that hard to do I assume.
> >
> > Daniel
> I've read some critical comments on snapback.
> For one mpt makes the point that it can be confusing having two "back
> buttons" that look similar but act slightly different.

Well, adding another back button seems like an unrelated issue to me. I
wasn't thinking of that but just using the menu (or shortcuts).

> Also the main reason that apple included the snap back feature was to avoid
> the use of a combo box, a gui element that they have historically avoided.
> We can provide snapback functionality pretty easily already anyway. Clicking
> on the combo box down button should display the most recently entered
> addresses in order from most recent to least recent. If it doesn't i
> consider it a bug.

It does, but usually this menu is full of entries with completely equal
titles so it's useless to me. It is also often difficult to find what
I'm looking for when I browse too many pages.
However, how about including the page snapback in this menu as a special
item (in bold maybe)? Then it can never get lost and one can find it
easily. You would only need one menu item then (to set the snapback