Re: [Epiphany] Re: Automatic Image Resizing

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 12:12, Nikolai :: lone-star :: Weibull wrote:
> This feature is very interesting.  It's a feature IE has had for quite
> some time, and is even more useless there.  In IE to get the image
> fullsize you have to hover over the image for like 2 or 3 seconds before
> a toolbar pop-ups that lets you expand it.  Totally annoying and
> useless.  How often do users prefer an image that fits in the frame over
> having it fullsize immediately and scrollable?  I find myself pressing
> an image before it has even completed loading, as I can't tell what I'm
> looking at otherwise.  I mean, usually an image, such as a screenshot,
> is linked to from a thumbnail and thus I've already seen what the small
> version of the image looks like, now I would like to see the whole
> image.  So image resizing adds nothing but an extra step to the process.

I couldn't agree more. And that just got me thinking... The feature is
useful quite often (mostly when viewing jpeg photos where pixel quality
doesn't matter), but in most cases it is annoying. So why doesn't it
show the image in full size by default but let us "shrink" it by
clicking it? This way we could easily decide if it's useful or not and
doing this extra step to actually "do" something (shrinking the image)
is certainly less frustrating than to "undo" something that is forced
upon you (reverting the image to original size). It would also get rid
of the problem that you can't tell immediately whether the image is full
size or not, other than looking at the cursor.
Currently when I disable automatic image resizing, I can't resize it at
all. This is really a choice between two evil. :/

Daniel