Re: [Epiphany] Automatic Image Resizing

On 2003.07.03 03:25, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 07:15, IT-290 wrote:

> If you over the image with the cursor a magnifier is showed. The
> question is more if we can expect user to notice it I guess.
> Going with the mouse over an object to get info about it is already
> used
> in other contexts (tooltip for example). In this case one could just
> think the image is showed at his max resolution though and not even
> try
> that.

Oops.. I hadn't noticed the feature, but that's probably because with
the (unofficial) X cursor theme I'm using, I get a hand cursor instead
of a magnifying glass.  I guess it should be fairly obvious to most
users with standard installs.  Although I'm not sure that a 'zoom' tool
really equates to 'view at original resolution', I think it's close
enough.

> > 2. It looks bad.  The interpolation is quite bad and makes even
> > downsampled images look very pixellated.
>
> Isnt this a bug in the implementation ?

Hmm.. I don't know if it could be considered a bug- implementing nice
bicubic interpolation or whatever would be rather slow on older
machines.

> Showing the zoom of the image in the zoom control could be a nice idea
> to make the functionality more visible. I'm not sure if it's
> technically
> possible though and the zoom control is not in the toolbar by default.

That would be nice, but I'm probably biased since I work with images
all day long ;)

> I think to make a call about the default we need to answer two
> questions:
> - Is the functionality useful enough to justify the extra step of
> getting it back to normal resolution when it's necessary ?

This is why I think a preference could be introduced.. it's one of
those things that some people love and some people hate.  Maybe a Gconf
setting? I dunno.  It's certainly useful in some cases (low rez
displays for instance), but it's obstructive in others.  If you think a
preference is overkill, I think there needs to be some notification
that the image is being scaled, maybe in the statusbar for example.
> - Is getting it back to normal resolution obvious enough ?

After reading your comment on the way it's supposed to work, I think it
is. ;)

Regards,
IT-290