Re: [Epiphany] Re: "I feel lucky" preference on Address bar

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 16:20, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 03:53:02PM +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>
>  > Hmmm. If you have the Google smart bookmark you will have a different
>  > entry at the bottom of autocompletion with "Search with google"
>  > similar to what mozilla have.
>
>  Yes, I have that.  Perhaps I'm not making myself clear:
>
>  I have several bookmarks for different boost pages.  I type "boost" in
>  the location bar, and I see:
>
>    +--------------------------------+
>    |boost <- this is the location bar
>    +--------------------------------+
>    |http://www.boost.org/           |
>    |http://boost-sandbox.sf.net/... |
>    |http://boost-sandbox.sf.net/... |
>    |...                             |
>    |boost wiki <- this is a normal bookmark
>    +--------------------------------+
>    |Google <- these are smart bookmarks
>    |Google Linux                    |
>    |...                             |
>    +--------------------------------+
>
>  so, I still fail to see how the default keyword search engine has
>  anything to do with this.  If I just press enter, "boost" will be
>  searched for using the default keyword search engine.

1 They does a similar action
2 They are edited in a similar way (%s right now)
3 They act on the same control

Atm if you select "Google Linux" and then type another word + enter,
"Google Linux" is used (only until you type an url again). I'm not
exactly convinced it's a good idea but ... it's one of the thing people
requested a few times.
In general I intuitively feel some sort of link between the completion
searches and the press enter. Maybe it's just me ;)

>  Rewinding: this is not something the user will be changing every five
>  minutes, on the contrary, the setting is more or less permanent.  What
>  speaks against making this configurable via "edit -> preferences"?  I
>  already suggested an option for keeping the user away from the horrors
>  of having to type an URL.  It has the nice side effect that including
>  "Search the web" and "I'm feeling lucky, Google" in the default
>  bookmarks automagically creates the appropiate selections in the
>  drop down menu.

If you use the smart bookmarks to feel the drop down, you are actually doing
that integration of the two things I was proposing ...
It sounds reasonable to me.

Marco