Re: [Epiphany] Re: Re: Epiphany 0.8

> > * Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpeseng@tin.it> [Jul, 31 2003 00:50]:
> > >
> > > 1 External links (evo links for example)
> > > 2 Popup windows
> > > 3 Middle click on links
> > > 4 Activate on history and bookmarks
> > >
> > > 5 The pref now control also the ever show tabs beahvior, acting like an MDI switch
> <snip>
> > > We seem to agree that case 1 should use a window by default, no matter always pref state.

I guess I also missed this at first, but here goes explaining another
way to look at things. My habits commonly leave me with several browser
windows spread across my workspaces (which in turn may be spread across
two monitors when I'm at my desk at work). Each window commonly has a
few tabs open with related material - for example, several pages of
programming documentation in one window, an intranet in another, a
web-based management console of an application somewhere, etc.

1 - there is an unavoidable situation of opening a new window on
external links - when there's no window there to begin with. Thus,
because an external link sometimes will open a new window, it would be
most straightforward for it to always open one.

2 - popup windows are popup windows because a normal window would not
fit them very well - it needs a small window, a window without a back
button/toolbar, etc. "Evil" popups must be filtered away anyways (Ephy
still isn't as good at this as Firebird), the rest must stay in their
special windows. I use several applications that absolutely depend on
this - the web isn't just for browsing, its a very common application
interface. Incidentally, Ephy's way of disabling "window.focus()" is
very annoying here.

3 - this is my primary way of opening new stuff in background while I'm
still reading the page where the link was. Background is the key for me
here - I load it into a tab because I want it in the background, ready
for me when I'm ready for it.

4 - Bookmarks I always load into the currently active tab. I also rarely
use the separate bookmark window for other than managing bookmarks,
which makes "active tab" an easy issue.

5 - I'd prefer if the tab display was hidden in windows with one tab
only, regardless of other settings, but it's not a big deal.