Re: [Epiphany] Favicon bug

Marco Pesenti Gritti <marco@it.gnome.org> writes:

> On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 16:28, Lee Willis wrote:
> > Other thank that looks nicely thought through [Not yet convinced about
> > bookmark keywords though ...]
>
> Please tell me about the problems you see with it.
> I'd really like to discuss them and to make even major changes.
>
> Just dont ask me to revert to a traditional bookmarks system since I
> feel it absolutely unusable (like I _never_ used bookmarks in galeon) :)
> And unfortunately I dont think I'm the only one ...

I'll start with an assumption.

'most "normal" users probably don't have large quantities of bookmarks
and so don't need fancy ways of organising them/retrieving them'

Bearing this in mind then the folder concept of traditional bookmarks is
largely irrelevant. So too is your keyword implementation. I can see it
being useful for people who have lots of bookmarks, however Joe Bloggs
doesn't his browser to ask him for a title and what keywords should be
stored for a site, they just want the browser to remember this page for
later.

One solution (Nasty that it is!) would be to store the page content, and
do a grep when someone searches for a keyword. [It's like having your
own personal google][1]. That would rock!. How easy it is to get to that
point I don't know, but if it did that and all the key navigation was
right it would be perfect. [Of course we should still allow users to
associate keywords if they want - for example to group all of their work
bookmarks - but I think that's a slightly different concept to the one
you've made right now]

On the subject of keyboard navigation I find the following issues with
the bookmarks system:

- The keyword search box isn't focussed when I first open the bookmarks
  window
- I have to open a new dialog to browse my bookmarks [myportal: was good
  in galeon - eph needs the same or a similar way of accessing bookmarks
  easily][2]
- There's no way to add a new bookmark (For say a URL i have in my paste
  buffer)
- If there's only one match I should be able to hit ENTER after typing
  in my keywords and open the one matching site, ie Ctrl-B, Mozilla,
  ENTER
- I'd like to be able to create a bookmark toolbar from a keyword/set of
  keywords

My 2p for what it's worth!

Lee
[1] Of course that's a technically ugly solution, but it explains the
    concept well.
[2] My major problem here is that I run epiphany full-screen and having
    a separate dialog open means I have to alt-tab it in, or open it when
    I'm browsing, and then have to alt-tab it out to read the page I've just
    opened.
--
+------------ My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet --------------