Re: [Epiphany] Popups blocking

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 13:13, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > > I really think the Phoenix model is the closest to doing the correct
> > > thing.
> >
> > The problem with the Phoenix model is I see many people sitting there
> > going "well I clicked the link, why am I not seeing the
> > video/next-page/britannica photo/whatever". While I approve of the
> > usability of supressing popups, the collateral damage of people having
> > to understand "blocking" / "unblocking" and that stuff to do essential
> > things is really high.
>
> One thing here is that the mozilla popup blocking pref (and thus the one
> in galeon, and phoenix as well) only blocks the popups that come in
> "unrequested", ie on page load. The ones you get when clicking a link
> still work. So the problem you describe wont be there in any case ..

Unfortunately I dont have an example url but there are a few sites that
requires unrequested popups to work. So yeah, we can solve partially the
problem by blocking only unrequested popups, but there will be still a
few cases where it wouldnt work. In such cases in phoenix you have:

1 To notice the small icon in the statusbar.
2 To understand that clicking it will allow you to fix your problem
(Yeah the first time dialog help a bit ...)
3 To understand that allowing the popup will fix your problem
4 To understand that you need to reload the page to make your popups
appear.

So I dont think there would be much hope to be able to enable such
option by default.
It would be nice if we could find a way to make popups at least less
annoying for all users.

Marco