Re: [Epiphany] Favicon bug

> I'll start with an assumption.
>
> 'most "normal" users probably don't have large quantities of bookmarks
> and so don't need fancy ways of organising them/retrieving them'

I started from the same assumption so at least here we agree ;)

> Bearing this in mind then the folder concept of traditional bookmarks is
> largely irrelevant. So too is your keyword implementation. I can see it
> being useful for people who have lots of bookmarks, however Joe Bloggs
> doesn't his browser to ask him for a title and what keywords should be
> stored for a site, they just want the browser to remember this page for
> later.

I think my keywords implementation has, compared with folders, the
advantage of adding a lot less ui clutter for people that dont need to
organize their bookmarks. This was one of the reasons that convinced me
to go for it.

The perfect solution for a newbie is probably something like the
nautilus implementation, a plain list of bookmarks. But I'm convinced
some way to organize bookmarks is necessary in a browser. I think
current implementation give it at a minimal cost: another list + another
entry.

Looks like your main problem is the dialog asking for title/keyword.
About title I'm not sure to agree. Some pages titles are not very
meaningful and it can be difficult to find them again later. Also I
think assigning a title to a page to remember is quite a natural action
... Finally the dialog give some sort of feedback: when using a word
processor I often find myself clicking save 2-3 times to be sure the
action has actually been taken, when I press ctrl+d in epiphany I have a
similar feeling .... I often open the dialog to be sure it's stored.
Yeah, this could be solved by a message in the statusbar, but the dialgo
is more eye catching I think.

About keyword entry we have a problem probably. Even my gf was feeling
urged to fill it. Obviously you can leave it empty but ... it seem to
confuse people a bit.

> One solution (Nasty that it is!) would be to store the page content, and
> do a grep when someone searches for a keyword. [It's like having your
> own personal google][1]. That would rock!.

Yeah would be good, but probably a pain to implement :)

> How easy it is to get to that
> point I don't know, but if it did that and all the key navigation was
> right it would be perfect. [Of course we should still allow users to
> associate keywords if they want - for example to group all of their work
> bookmarks - but I think that's a slightly different concept to the one
> you've made right now]
>
> On the subject of keyboard navigation I find the following issues with
> the bookmarks system:
>
> - The keyword search box isn't focussed when I first open the bookmarks
>   window

Not sure if we should select search box or the bookmarks list (see your
point about newbies). Anyway not keywords like we do now.

> - I have to open a new dialog to browse my bookmarks [myportal: was good
>   in galeon - eph needs the same or a similar way of accessing bookmarks
>   easily][2]

Maybe, but I think the dialog is a better way to browse them then a web
page. Will reply to [2].

> - There's no way to add a new bookmark (For say a URL i have in my paste
>   buffer)

I'd prefer to not add complexity to the dialog for this ... (maybe at
some point i'll be forced but I'm at least trying).
Can you explain when this would be necessary ? You can add bookmarks for
both pages and links...

> - If there's only one match I should be able to hit ENTER after typing
>   in my keywords and open the one matching site, ie Ctrl-B, Mozilla,
>   ENTER

That conflicts with the default button though (Close). Maybe we should
s/Close/Open. The only problem I see with this is that with searches you
can have no bookmark selected, so the default button would have to made
insensitive. Maybe just add Open with a keybinding ....

> - I'd like to be able to create a bookmark toolbar from a keyword/set of
>   keywords

Yeah this is planned but I'm not sure when I'll work on it. I plan to
move using plain gtk instead of bonoboui when toolbar/menu stuff is
ready, I'd prefer to not code that two times :)

> My 2p for what it's worth!
>
> [2] My major problem here is that I run epiphany full-screen and having
>     a separate dialog open means I have to alt-tab it in, or open it when
>     I'm browsing, and then have to alt-tab it out to read the page I've just
>     opened.

Not sure what you mean here. I can do ctrl+b, open bookmark, Esc.

Marco