Re: Downloader UI Rationales

> > I think an "as" context menu would be a decent compromise. With current
> > file system if you want to keep a lot of stuff locally you are forced to
> > micromanage.
>
> Well there is a lot of evidence suggesting that most users just dump their
> files into a big "My Documents" like folder and never micromanage (or do
> very little). Since micromanaging is an issue, the question than is when do
> we force micromanaging. Poping up a fileselector forces file management at
> download time. A default folder never "forces" micromanagement, but allows
> those who want to the ability to do it after succesful completion of a
> download.

I dont think I understand your arguments against Save As ... clutter ?
(but then Save As on abi and gedit is clutter too).

> > I think the plan was not to use a temporary file but download the file
> > in download folder and then open it. Did we change our minds on that ?
>
> I think this is a good idea in principle. I think the main concern in that
> since the desktop is the default download dir, user may end up with a
> cluttered mess.

If this idea doesnt work then I think we are in troubles. The other
possible behavior has critical issues. Imagine to click on a movie on a
slow connection ...
Anyway we really need to make a call on this.

> > (fwiw that's what apple does too). I think using a temp file is pretty
> > risky, you cant assume viewers have a save functionality, if they dont
> > you end up making very very hard for user to keep the downloaded file on
> > disk.
> >
> > I dont understand your problem with the url_show thing. Files are
> > downloaded by epiphany when they cant be handled directly by the helper
> > app ...
>
> Maybe i'm just confused. I was pretty sure most pdfs i was opening were
> being downloaded first and then viewed instead of having a helper app open
> the remote file (gpdf which i believe uses gnome_vfs?)...

I dont have gpdf installed. Though if you can get something like gpdf
http://mypdf to work then the problem is probably in the mime database.

Marco