Re: Downloader UI Rationales

Marco Pesenti Gritti writes:

FWIW it happened to me a few times to be called to support people that
was not able to understand where the file they downloaded was gone, to
be able to open it. And they was not complete newbies, they was using
computers for their work everyday.

This is a common usability problem that is created by using a fileselector to select a download folder for every file as opposed to a common download folder. This happens all the time and is due to saving state nature of the file selector. In normal situations it makes sense to default the filesel to the last used folder. The only problem is that when used less frequently users forget where this is. This is one of the problems that the current design aims to address by providing a common/standard folder that all downloads are stored in. Less complex hierarichal memory is needed, and users can later on perform the task of organization.

Not using the desktop _could_ mak harder for people to find where their
files has been saved.

Yes and no. Assuming the desktop has a limited number of items on it (probably a somewhat resonable assumption) a subfolder of the desktop that is clearly labeled and perhaps a special icon or emblem should be equally usable and discoverable, since the number of items to scan is low. The downloads folder also is nice in that users can continue to dump stuff into it without getting the feeling of mess that can be associated with too many icons on the desktop. However for now I think sticking with desktop is probably a good idea if only to avoid the i18n issues. I'm not really fond of puttin an icon on the desktop labeled "Downloads" for japanese/italian/every language other than english etc. Eventually we can just switch to a storage based solution which will use a translatable .desktop file on the desktop which will fix this problem anyway and allow for a lot more leeway in the design.

I think an "as" context menu would be a decent compromise. With current
file system if you want to keep a lot of stuff locally you are forced to
micromanage.

Well there is a lot of evidence suggesting that most users just dump their files into a big "My Documents" like folder and never micromanage (or do very little). Since micromanaging is an issue, the question than is when do we force micromanaging. Poping up a fileselector forces file management at download time. A default folder never "forces" micromanagement, but allows those who want to the ability to do it after succesful completion of a download.
Yeah, not many people does it. Though I think we have
several items in context menus that are much less used.

Yeah image context menus are particularly scary :P
I think the plan was not to use a temporary file but download the file
in download folder and then open it. Did we change our minds on that ?

I think this is a good idea in principle. I think the main concern in that since the desktop is the default download dir, user may end up with a cluttered mess.
(fwiw that's what apple does too). I think using a temp file is pretty
risky, you cant assume viewers have a save functionality, if they dont
you end up making very very hard for user to keep the downloaded file on
disk.
I dont understand your problem with the url_show thing. Files are
downloaded by epiphany when they cant be handled directly by the helper
app ...

Maybe i'm just confused. I was pretty sure most pdfs i was opening were being downloaded first and then viewed instead of having a helper app open the remote file (gpdf which i believe uses gnome_vfs?)...

dave