Re: Random image patch

Am Dienstag, den 09.02.2010, 19:30 +0100 schrieb knight666:
> Hello Felix,

Hi Quinten,

> that's great news! I'm glad to see my patch being incorporated. :)
> However, one thing I noticed when browsing a large folder of files
> (20,000+ files): CPU usage goes up to 100% when changing images. This
> is unacceptable behavior for a simple image viewer. It takes several
> seconds to change the displayed image. What is Eye of Gnome doing that
> is taking up so much CPU?

Well, if it is really on image switching it could be the image decoding
itself (libjpeg is not the fastest). But finding out for sure is more
difficult. You could run eog with EOG_DEBUG=1 set, and it will print
some information about what it is doing, although it's not complete it
might be a starting point.

A more complex way of checking would be to run a profiler like sysprof
on eog while changing images, although this will most likely be
dominated by the image decoder.

We once had problems with large image folders in eog due to mime type
sniffing, which delayed app startup (the bug's still somewhere in
bugzilla). But that's mostly gone due to GIO not directly supporting it
anymore.

Hope I could give you some pointers.

Felix