Embedded EoG widget

Scanning the list archives, I believe Eye of GNOME once shipped a
library for embedding its functionality into applications via Bonobo.

Has there been any thought given to bringing this back in the form of a
library of image viewing widgets that applications can embed?  I'm
thinking of something similar to what Evince has done with libevview.

For me this would be really handy to use for showing image attachments
in Evolution, providing a consistent way to rotate and scale the image.

I know Evolution could just steal code from Eye of GNOME to get this,
but we're stuck with too much foreign (and now ancient) code already.

Thanks,
Matthew Barnes