More trouble with Python plugins

There seem be no Python plugins that ship with EOG, nor are Python plugins available in the eog-plugins GNOME svn module. That's okay.

It's just that I can't figure out how to make one work. Some time ago I wrote the example plugin on GNOME Live, but EOG internals have changed and it is out of date.

I am attaching two files which, when put in ~/.gnome2/eog/plugins/ should (AFAIK) create a valid plugin. However, instead, I get this lame message:

(eog:17556): EOG-WARNING **: Cannot load Python plugin 'Hellloooooooooo' since file 'libhello' cannot be read.

(eog:17556): EOG-WARNING **: Error activating plugin 'Hellloooooooooo'

Skimming the source of the plugin loader, I fear it is forgetting to put ".py" somewhere but elsewhere assuming it has.

Furthermore, if I change "Module=libhello" to "Module=libhello.py", I get this more interesting message:

ImportError: No module named py

Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/paulproteus/svn/public/code/sitecustomize.py", line 10, in info
    pdb.pm()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/pdb.py", line 1168, in pm
    post_mortem(sys.last_traceback)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'last_traceback'

Original exception was:
ImportError: No module named py

(eog:18153): EOG-WARNING **: Cannot load Python plugin 'Hellloooooooooo' since file 'libhello.py' cannot be read.

(I am testing using the stock eog on Debian unstable, currently:
ii  eog            2.22.2-1       Eye of GNOME graphics viewer program
)

-- Asheesh.

--
QOTD:
	"It's hard to tell whether he has an ace up his sleeve or if

[Eog Plugin]
Module=libhello
IAge=2
Name=Hellloooooooooo
Loader=python
Icon=postr
Description=Print a greeting to the console where eog is running
Authors=Asheesh Laroia <eog-oh-baby asheesh org>
Copyright=Copyright © 2007 Creative Commons
Website=about:mozilla