Color management and images lacking embedded ICC profiles

Hello,

It seems that eog in its current incarnation only activates color management when an icc profile is attached to the image being viewed. - I am currently using eog 2.22.3 as it appears in the Debian unstable distribution -
Most other applications that do support color management seem to just assume that such images should be understood as sRGB images.

I personally would very much like to see the same behavior in eog since most images that are profile-less - and they are still a majority - are typically really meant to be seen as sRGB.
Would the eog team consider such a change? Or maybe there is some fundamental reason I might have overlooked that would explain the current behavior...

Best regards,
Cyril