Re: could somebody add a line in https://wiki.gnome.org/action/login/Community/GettingInTouch/IRC

Hey Shirish,

In order to edit the GNOME Wiki, you have to be added as a Trusted Editor [1] , since we had spam issues and had to lock down the wiki. I'm happy to add you to that group! Just sign up for an account on the wiki and send me your username.

Re: the Engagement meetings: when I send weekly email reminders about the meetings, I include information to help newcomers join the meetings (see below). Do you think we should add more information to the agenda etherpad itself?

Best,
Nuritzi

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/TrustedEditorGroup

----

Instructions for newcomers:

If you're new to GNOME or the Engagement Team...
We'd love to have you join our meeting and get to know part of the team!

To join the engagement team meeting, make sure that you have an IRC account and join the #engagement channel. IRC setup instructions are here: Getting In Touch [2].

If you want to chat before the call, just email or ping me on IRC: @nuritzi.

Make sure you know what time 15:30 UTC is in your timezone. You can use Time & Date [3] to help you.

If you're curious, you can take a look at notes from our previous meetings here: EngagementTeam Meetings [4].

We look forward to meeting you!

Note: if you're new to IRC, you should set up your IRC account at least an hour before the team call since it will take around 15 - 30 minutes to set up. You may want to try using a web-based client, like IRC Cloud [5], first and then ping someone on IRC for help setting up a native client.

[1] https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/engagement-team-meetings
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Community/GettingInTouch/IRC
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html
[4] https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/TeamMeetings
[5] https://www.irccloud.com/

Nuritzi Sanchez
President, Board of Directors at GNOME
Founding Member, Ecosystem Team Manager at Endless

Dear all,

I was looking at Oliver Propst's mail about being in the meeting. I
was trying to figure out how to connect to IRC and saw that there
doesn't seem to be a direct way to figure out how to connect for IRC.

To make it more clear,

If one just uses email link shared by Oliver, one goes to
https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/engagement-team-meetings

which didn't tell the server or the way to connect.

I had to look into
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/login/Community/GettingInTouch/IRC via
search-engine which should be linked to IMHO by default .

Also some info. in
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/login/Community/GettingInTouch/IRC is
missing.

For instance I use riot-web and actually wrote an article about it
some days back -

https://itsfoss.com/riot-desktop/

Anyways, the recipe to join via riot-desktop is/should be -

/join #_gimpnet_#engagement:matrix.org

I tried it out and yes it works,  the only thing which doesn't seem to
work is that the #engagement list doesn't seem to use the backup
logging feature/irc bouncer feature which people love riot-web for.

I tried to edit the info. but the page is locked and is probably open
to only few users
so whoever has the rights, please add the needful .

Some more info. -

I was looking to find info. on gimpnet and at least from mibbit.com it
seems to be running an EOLed ircd server, at least according to
mibbit.com

https://search.mibbit.com/networks/GIMPnet

https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/FAQ#What_is_the_current_version_and_when_will_next_version_be_released.3F

the irc bridge doesn't show much info. so don't really know.

http://paste.debian.net/1026060/

I also saw https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnrealIRCd to get some idea
of the history of the project.

Look forward to know if somebody has more details.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल