* Oliver
* Michael
* Rosanna
* Link
* Jose Pedro Rodriguez

== Roles ==
* Chair: Nuritzi
* Secretary: Michael
* PM: LInk (GitLab issues) and Oliver (Wiki & ML)

== Agenda ==
 * GUADEC 2019 Call for bids timing (Nuritzi)
 * GNOME in Peru update (Nuritzi)
 * Newcomer tasks for Engagement team on GitLab (Nuritzi)
 * Engagement blog items (Nuritzi)
 * GUADEC 2017 newcomers activities ideas (Nuritzi)
*  fossnorth 2018 (oliverp)

== Notes ==

=== GUADEC CfB ===
* Questions about timing
  * Announcement last week
  * Deadline is may 6
  * Currently also posting 2018 CfP
* Will waiting to announce the call for bids cause a problem?
  * Deadline will be only a week after the announcement if we do
  * Putting the call  out early was meant to give people more time to put bids together
* Calls for bids and calls for papers attract different audiences
  * Concern is that those difference audiences will be confused between the two

Suggestion: Include discussion of CfB in the CfP posts
ACTION: Nuritzi to publish CfB post: TODO
ACTION: Nuritzi to reach out to Lyon team to re-bid: TODO

=== GNOME in Peru ===
* Julita is in the USA for a time
* Still people interested in promoting GNOME in Peru
* FLISOL coming up, 17 events in Peru
  * Requested up to $500 to fund those events (swag items + shipping)
    * Up to the marketing funds holder
    * Questions about doing this as a pre-payment
      * Just need them to send receipts afterwards to show how the money was spent
  * Trying to arrange for 2 presentations via video conference as these events
* Want to setup a swag center in Peru to support the local community
  * Stickers sent to Jose Antonio Rey in Lima for local redistribution
    * Not enough time to get those out for FLISOL

DECIDED: Approved $500 for FLISOL events in peru
ACTION: Nuritzi to get Transferwise info from the FLISOL organizers to send them the money: TODO

=== SWAG centers ===
* Carlos needs somebody who can go with him to the post offices
  * Wants to know if anybody else in Europe wants to be a swag center
  * Oliver might be willing, needs to know what would be required
    * Concern about Sweden not being very central
* People are requesting swag both via email and GitLab, should concentrate that one just one
ACTION: Nuritzi to reach out to Bastian about being a swag center: TODO

=== Engagement newcomer tasks ===
* Some people have joined recently wanting to do things, but didn't know what to do
  * Suggestion: We could have them contribute social media posts or draft texts for requested posts, or review draft text
  * Suggestion: Tag gitlab tasks as 'newcomer-friendly' on the Engagement issue board
  * Suggestion: Find newcomer-friendly web development tasks for them to contribute to

=== Engagement blog ===
* Oliver working on items for the blog
  * Would like somebody to review the texts before publishing
  * Suggestion: Ask newcomers to review
    * Not sure how long that will take, do we want to wait for that to happen or publish asap?
  * Nuritzi knows a newcomer who might be willing to review, but without access to the WP-Admin she can't see the text
  * Suggestion: Write drafts in etherpad or the wiki so that more people can review it
  * Engagement blog is maybe not an ideal place for long posts
    * Suggestion: Reducing the size of posts to fit better on the engagement blog
  * Suggestion: We should promote FLISOL events on the engagement blog
  * We should get more people writing on the blog in order to cover all the desired topics
    * Fedora magazine has a core group f editors who propose topics and recruit writers (include how-to instructiosn for newcomers)
    * Concern: Scope of Engagement blog is much narrower than Fedora magazine
  * Suggested schedule:
      * Posting GUADEC CfB today
      * Post Pulse Audio next monday
      * Post China release parties next wednesday
ACTION: Oliver to copy draft text into an etherpad so it can be reviewed: TODO
ACTION: Oliver to email <elleobot>, a newcomer who has expressed interest in helping review posts: TODO
ACTION: Link to review engagement blog post about release parties in China: TODO
ACTION: Oliver to propose a posting schedule for articles on the blog: TODO

=== GUADEC newcomer activities ===
* We've been trying to organize newcomers lunch on the first day to let newcomers meet core contributors
* Suggestion: A buddy system (big-buddy/little-buddy)
* Suggestion: Assign lunch-groups with a small mix of people
* Suggestion: Scavenger hunt or Bingo where you find people who meet a certain criteria
* Suggestion: Make it easier to know how to get to the venue
  * Document train/bus routes, tickets and stops
  * Organize groups of people arriving at the same time to travel to the venue together
* Suggestion: Organize events like balloon race, football match
* Suggestion: Can we tie into GNOME Recipes to get newcomers to contribute a recipe
* Suggestion: Identify newcomers with a sticker on their badge, encourage oldcomers to introduce themselves and invite them to lunch/dinner
* Mixed success last year with Potter-style houses and speakers awarding points
ACTION: ?? to ask the GUADEC team what the ratio of newcomers/oldcomers is: TODO
ACTION: Nuritzi to craete a gitlab issue to track these ideas: TODO

=== FOSS North ===
* Discussion postponed until next week

=== Writing press releases/news items for downstream use ===

-mvh Oliver Propst