Re: Support GNOME in India and South Asia

Hello Sri,

Thanks for replying! :)

Sounds great, so cool that you are involved in the Debian community.  Perhaps you can tell us what attracted you to GNOME?

Debian is what actually made me love GNOME. I worked on a self proposed idea with Debian which involved making a GNOME extension for my application. I am currently working on an IPA for GNOME 3 which will make the systems more interactive and helpful. It also involves a medium to communicate between different systems running the program.

That sounds great!  Come see us on our #engagement channel on irc.gnome.org, and chat with us and we can figure out what sort of things you are interested in and come up with some projects.

That's cool! I have subscribed to the list. Let me also give a brief into on my thoughts about maintaining the community.
What I aim of achieving through this is a better environment, especially for newbies to get started with open source projects, maintain a profile of what they are doing support such activities in colleges and once in a year, may be, bring them all together for a national level fest.
While I started working on my GSoC project last year, my mentor went missing and I couldn't find a reliable source of guidance around me. I had to do learn all the stuff by myself, mostly through my mistakes. It took almost 2 weeks before I could get a thorough grip of my project. Had I found a good guide from here, I could have saved much more time. So the aim is to connect these people, through online medias.
Association with GNOME can ensure incoming of more project ideas, input from a more experienced network of people and finally a valid certification for the students who work with us.
There will be provision for colleges to open a club franchise in their college, through our portal, so that we can bring all of them under one tree.

In addition, I have an opportunity for you to be involved with the Indian govt as well working on open source projects.  Perhaps you could champion GNOME for us there?

Sure. That sounds interesting! I'll be happy to help you guys in anyways possible!

I see that you had mentioned FOSDEM.  Will you be there?

Not Exactly. I'll be appearing as an online speaker for the event as I cant make it to Belgium within the short period. I'll be there at FOSSASIA for sure.

Regards,
Balram Pariyarath
Fellow | Google Summer of Code 2016
CS Head | Excel 2016
Chairman | IEDC-MEC 2016
Computer Science and Engineering (Batch: 2013-17)
Govt. Model Engineering College, Kochi-21
☎:  +91 8129130866
✉: balbbrl gmail com