When should we tweet?

Hi everyone,

I recently got involved with managing the @gnome Twitter account again. In doing so, I was pleased to see that there was a decent amount of recent activity. However, this came as a bit of a surprise: despite following @gnome, I hadn't seen any of our recent posts.

This got me thinking about the times that we tweet. It's so easy to miss a tweet, and tweeting at certain times will obviously reach some time zones more than others. If you search the web, there's plenty of advice about this. Repeating tweets on different days and at different times is recommended as a way of increasing readership and reaching different time zones.

I've experimenting a little with potential timings for our tweets. Generally speaking, afternoon on work days is considered the best time to post. To reach audiences from East Coast USA right across to Asia and Oceania it's necessary to post each message three times at eight hour intervals. The following time slots seem to work best: 4:00-6:00, 12:00-14:00, 19:00-21:00 UTC.

There are dangers with repeating tweets, of course. If we repeat too much, it will start to get annoying and look like spam. It also raises the possibility of bloopers. However, I think we can minimize these issues by taking the following steps:
How does that sound? Any ideas how to improve on this plan? I am a little concerned about the work involved in doing this, so it might be good to try and think about a less comprehensive/detailed plan.