Re: 3.20 Headline Features

Oliver Propst <oliver propst gmail com> wrote:
Wayland is a tricky sell - it is unlikely that distributions will switch
to it by default for this release, and there are some missing bits and
pieces.

+1, Actually think we should be (very) careful with having Wayland as a
selling point, right now at least. This fedora mailning list thread provide
some interesting insights [1], and [2] ("pending section"), which I guess
motivates why fedora choosed not to enable Wayland by default for its next
release .

Some things to bear in mind here:

1. For distros where it's available, Wayland will be an opt in feature
that people have to decide to use. They can also turn it off if it
doesn't work for them.

2. A lot of time and effort has gone into Wayland this cycle (and
previous cycles) - it would be good to reflect that in the notes.

3. We need to consider the balance and appearance of the release
headlines in general. If you take out XDG app, what big features do we
have to talk about?

4. Is this *the* Wayland moment? I'm particularly thinking about next
release here. If we just missed the mark of being Wayland ready this
cycle, do we still get to say that 3.22 is the big "Wayland is done"
release? If so, we might not want to make such a noise about it this
time round.

5. My understanding is that Fedora will be promoting the Wayland
session, even if it is not used by default. I wouldn't want GNOME to
miss the train in this regard.

XDG app isn't particularly a user facing feature at this stage. The most
relevant new feature is the availability of nightly apps [1]. However, these
nightly builds don't get much attention, and they require the command line
to install, so are somewhat technical. In general I don't like selling user
features if they require a terminal!

+1, understand this project is (still) in a very early stage.

We would only ever promote XDG app as something to try out,
particularly for the nightly apps. The infrastructure isn't in place
to recommend it as something that's generally usable.