Re: 3.20 Headline Features

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
2. A lot of time and effort has gone into Wayland this cycle (and
previous cycles) - it would be good to reflect that in the notes

See this.

3. We need to consider the balance and appearance of the release
headlines in general. If you take out XDG app, what big features do we
have to talk about?

The general app polish and features landed I think are significant. Considerer things like Shortcuts windows add to that.

4. Is this *the* Wayland moment? I'm particularly thinking about next
release here. If we just missed the mark of being Wayland ready this
cycle, do we still get to say that 3.22 is the big "Wayland is done"
release? If so, we might not want to make such a noise about it this
time round.

A very good point you bring up. Was something I had in mind.

In time for the 3.22 release I guess its very likely that *features such as "remote display", "xclipboard proxy", "dnd root window drops" will have landed, hopefully have also the Wayland accessibility story improved. Think it would make more sense to do a bigger push then, yes.

*https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wayland_features describe the features I quote (and more).

5. My understanding is that Fedora will be promoting the Wayland
session, even if it is not used by default. I wouldn't want GNOME to
miss the train in this regard.

Understand.

--
-mvh Oliver Propst