Meeting Notes | #Engagement Meeting Feb 12th

Hi Everyone,

Here are our meeting notes from last week's weekly meeting:  https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/TeamMeetings/12-FEB-2016 (and pasted below).

Due to my schedule, there will most likely be a lag between our meetings on Friday and when I can send out the notes. I keep meeting notes in our agenda (https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/engagement-team-meetings), so feel free to look at those if you want to see what happened during our meeting sooner.

Once the notes are in their final resting place (https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/TeamMeetings), our agenda will be erased and set up for the next weekly meeting. If someone wants to volunteer to be notetaker and send out the notes sooner, that'd be wonderful. Otherwise, I'm happy to send them out as soon as my schedule permits.

Have a great week, and see some of you Friday!

Best,
Nuritzi

#Engagement Team Meeting 12 Feb 2016

Met on #engagement and https://meet.jit.si/engagement.

Attendees:

  • Zana
  • Sri
  • Adelia
  • Cassandra
  • Nuritzi
  • Steve
  • Kat
  • Irfan (part of the time)

Summary of meeting and next steps:

New Member Intros

  • Welcome, Steve (IRC @stevepdp) - He's based in the UK and is interested in helping us with: Patreon / Friends of GNOME set up & help with websites. Skills: PHP, Wordpress, Development oriented, content. He's already a GNOME member and is interested in further contributing through the Engagement team.

Fundraising: Patreon & Friends of GNOME

Patreon account already set up for trial, but user-facing page not live yet.

Email: patreon gnome org

Password shared between stevepdp, kittykat and bastianilso

Patreon will be a different way for people to donate. Kind of like Friends of GNOME. A lot of the people on the Friends of GNOME list aren't active members anymore, so we should update that.

ACTION STEPS:

  • Set a meeting to talk about Friends of GNOME & Patreon levels @Zana and Steve

  • Make sure that the gifts match Friends of GNOME and that levels are rethought. Consider adding keyboard stickers as gifts, mugs, pint glasses
  • find new developers for Friends of GNOME: hand out a bunch of postcards then developers will send postcard to new donors.
  • Update the Friends of GNOME website. https://www.gnome.org/friends/

Memorial Posts & Process

We should default to adding memorial posts to the official news page only, not to social media. Preferably, we will consult the deceased's family first to make sure even that is ok. Individuals can post to social media if they want to, but GNOME should not.

Outreach & Onboarding

Updates:

  • Sri attended start up happy hour last week. Has a script. Refers to GNOME as a charity. Loves talking to other non-profits because they tend to be receptive to GNOME's mission.
  • Bastian - in Denmark, working with local IT union, first theme will be Open Source, Bastian will be talking about GNOME. Will share draft of slides and structure of the talk for feedback. Audience is mainly students, will talk about how to get involved in GNOME. Might use some GNOME posters. We should give students an opportunity to meet other GNOME members. https://www.facebook.com/events/1733479596881576/

ACTION STEPS

  • Print business cards for outreach events
  • Think about having a video hangout, and / or more social events. Uses education on "Open Source" as a hook.
  • @Irfan - send out infographic to wider marketing list for feedback.
  • @Nuritzi - create a GNOME SF Facebook page
  • @Nuritzi - ongoing project to spend ~3 hrs on Engagement Team wiki to update team page
  • @All - think about what design interns could do for engagement.

Conferences

LAS GNOME - led by Sri, regular meetings every Thursday at 17:00 UTC.https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/westcoasthackfest2016

Update: LAS GNOME - venue has received payment, we now have a venue that's booked and ready to go. Now need to work on fundraising and promotion. Reached out to Stump Town Syndicate to talk about where we can have events. #1 priority is events and how to sell them. Sri needs to look for venues close by. Need to estimate cost for two events. Want it to be a profitable event to fund the next one. In terms of promotion, Open Suse can promote it.

There is an upcoming conference, Linux Fest Northwest (end of April), where we can set up a GNOME builder hackfest, which ties into LAS GNOME: will show them how xdg apps work, and feed that enthuasiasm with LAS GNOME. We should broadcast an open hackfest for Linux Fest Northwest. Sri wants to secure a venue for Engagement Team BOF at LAS GNOME.

ACTION STEPS

  • create a budget
  • build a website
  • create a promotion plan
  • fundraising
  • @Cassandra, @Adelia and @Sri talk about LAS GNOME website and event planning. Steve might be able to help with dev work on website.

Annual Report

https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/AnnualReport/2015

Updates: Should have first draft on March 15th. Still missing a few more contributors and writers. Friends of GNOME page is ready for proofreading. We have 5 matrices: talk to Alexandre about translations.

ACTION STEPS:

  • @Cassandra - will proactively seek photos from 2015 and 2016. Talk to Adrea Veri about storage.
  • @Adelia - Come up with a list of numbers we'd like to create infographics about. e.g. How big: number of foundation numbers, breakdown of members by team, number of people who attend GUADEC, - check with Andrea Veri and Zana
  • @Adelia - set up wiki pages and process for people to contribute as authors.

Website

No updates

Recruiting

  • @Sri might come to SF on Feb 20th to join SF Engagement Team meeting

See Also: Updated Initiatives List: https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/List_of_GNOME_Engagment_Team_initiatives

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless