Re: Social Media | Preparing for Upcoming Release & More

Hey Nuritzi!

Thanks for starting this discussion - it's an important one to have.

Nuritzi Sanchez <nuritzis gmail com> wrote:
Allan, Oliver, Parth, Bastian, Fabiana, Sri and Rosanna have been identified
as currently being involved in managing a social media channel. Take a look
at the ownership section below and let me know if you would like to be
involved in more or less. ...

I'll be honest here - I've been trying to step away from the social
media side of things recently. I'm happy to support contributors, but
I'd prefer not to have an oversight role.

Logins: Does anyone know if we have a complete and consolidated list of
social media channel logins? If not, we need to make one.

According to the wiki [1], there are only three accounts with
passwords. I suspect that Twitter's the only one that people are
generally interested in? (Each account with a password is registered
to an email address that GNOME owns, so we do have centralised control
over them.)

Supporting 3.18: Let's figure out what exactly needs to be posted on each
social media channel. @Allan - Is there a checklist of things to do for the
release somewhere?

When I've done GNOME's social media in the past, I've tried to build
up excitement about each release, by posted about relevant events in
the run up. Things that can included here:

 * Development releases (such as the beta release)
 * Links to blog posts about features that are coming in the release
 * General posts like "we're hard at work putting the finishing
touches to 3.18" or whatever

It would be great if channel owners could do some of that!

I'm happy to manage announcements on release day, and to coordinate
with the release team. It would be great if each channel owner could
draft a release announcement, and be on IRC during the afternoon (UTC)
on Wednesday (the 23rd) so that we can coordinate when to post them.
If you can't be around at that time, perhaps you could draft the
announcement and pass it on so that I can post it?

We should make a plan for what needs to be announced
when, and via what channel.

The order of steps documented on the wiki [2], in the "release
announcement" section. Does that have enough information?

Also, do you know who owns the community
calendar? It'd be great to use this to help us plan the release.

It's just a Google calendar that's been shared around - I've added you!

Allan

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/Channels
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/ReleasePlanning