Re: Fwd: GNOME techonologies used by Mozilla

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:18 AM Danishka Navin <danishka gmail com> wrote:
What's the point of having a long list that has many stuff not matching with Mozilla?
I am sorry, but this souds like too greedy to get Mozilla funds.

We're just going through what technologies that Mozilla that would relate to us.  There is nothing desperate or greedy about that.  It's research towards a goal.  As Bastien said, sausage making, yo. :)  The money would be good for us, but also if Mozilla says they use GNOME related libraries then that is a powerful argument to use as well.

I am Gnome user and I was contributing to Gnome since 2007.
I would like to help as a mozillian if you can clearly mention why Mozilla should sponsor Gnome project.
If I am not wrong, there was a gnome prooject that funded by Mozilla.

And that is what this thread is about.  We also are working on what future technologies would be something that would be interesting to Mozilla.

I might add that GNOME has a talent pool that Mozilla has benefitted from.  A number of successful people inside Mozilla have come from the GNOME community.  GNOME not only has great technologies but they have great people.

I recently joined the technical marketing team at work.  Can you tell? :D

sri

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 8:03 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
A couple of comments inline,

On Mon, 2015-10-26 at 21:05 +0000, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> This is the list that Sahil has come up with.  Here is also what
> Mozilla thinks they depend on.
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/MOSS/Projects_in_use_by_Mozilla
>
> Again, we are not on it.  That's disappointing.
> sri

Those are two separate projects, and GIO is builtin to glib.

> gnomeVFS (Used in recent past and replaced with GIO - Bug 794772)
> DBus
> UPower
> GStreamer
> Grilo

They use grilo? Where?

> PulseAudio
> Wayland
> X11
> dconf
> gsettings
> Tracker

Where do they use tracker?

> NetworkManager
> gnome cvs

What do they use GNOME CVS for? We haven't had CVS repositories for 8
years.

if I am not wrong Mozilla use hg.

> Libsoup
> WebKitGTK+
> UPnP
> Avahi
> BlueZ
> Telepathy
> GeoClue
> Gjs

This is backwards. We use Mozilla's spidermonkey in gjs.