Re: "What is GNOME?"

Le vendredi 15 mai 2015 à 10:18 +0100, Allan Day a écrit :
Jeff Fortin Tam <nekohayo gmail com> wrote:
Methinks it might be time to retire the "discover GNOME 3" concept and
turn it into "What is GNOME?" page. It's not 2011 anymore, it's not like
we're still comparing ourselves to GNOME 2 :)

I think it's important to provide an overview of the actual UX that we
provide. We never had that in the GNOME 2 days, and the lack of
user-facing information was something that people frequently
complained about.
[...]

Ah, I think I was a bit unclear. Let me distill my thoughts:

- The current contents of the GNOME3 page are great, shouldn't go away;
- That page's contents should be expanded to introduce what GNOME *is*;
- The resulting page might as well be renamed "What is GNOME" because it
wouldn't be strictly about GNOME3 anymore, but GNOME3 and GNOME in
general. May be more future-proof that way (my argument of "It's been
4-5 years, GNOME3 is not a 'new' thing anymore").

So yes present the UX, but introduce the thing before doing that! :) and
take the opportunity of that intro paragraph to link to other aspects
like the upcoming "Technologies" page, the charitable mission, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Jeff