Re: "What is GNOME?"

Jeff Fortin Tam <nekohayo gmail com> wrote:
- That page's contents should be expanded to introduce what GNOME *is*;
- The resulting page might as well be renamed "What is GNOME" because it
wouldn't be strictly about GNOME3 anymore, but GNOME3 and GNOME in
general. May be more future-proof that way (my argument of "It's been
4-5 years, GNOME3 is not a 'new' thing anymore").

I still see value in the "3". First, it gives us a term that is
different from the project name: "GNOME 3" is the product, and "GNOME"
is the project that makes it. Second, the version number does
communicate something useful about the identity of the product itself
- the fact is that GNOME 3 is different from GNOME 1 or GNOME 2, and
we can draw on those qualities when developing and promoting the
product's brand identity.