Re: you know... (book)

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 10:36:30PM -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
You know just having an IDE is not enough, it would be great if we could get someone to write a a book or something on gnome development
The GLib chapter is almost finished: https://people.gnome.org/~swilmet/glib-gtk-dev-platform.pdf https://github.com/swilmet/glib-gtk-book

Nice!  This is great that you were motivated enough to do this!

It's a very early version. I didn't make any announcement yet, but I'll try to find the time this year to continue the content. If other developers want to write some chapters, I would welcome any contribution.

Maybe we could use this as the basis of the start of our documentation?  I assume that it has the right license for this collaboration?

I know the introduction is not great, I should maybe move the discussion about the C language to an appendix. But what is more important is the chapters. Usually the introduction is written when the content is finished, to know what to introduce.

Right, makes sense.  It seems that Michael Hill is interested in helping.  We could work out book sprints and get things going.  I'd like to get more volunteers to get some momentum going.  Anybody else who might be interested?  I'd volunteer, but I think I'm going to be busy in the next couple of months as I have to ramp up in a new position.  I can try though.

The code examples are in C, but if you think _javascript_ is important for GNOME, then write another book ;-) Anyway the goal of the book I'm writing is also to explain how to write libraries, and the C language is the recommended language for libraries (if you use GLib/GObject).

I think C is fine, but we should look at _javascript_ and python as well.

Thanks for starting this!