Re: you know... (book)

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 10:36:30PM -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
You know just having an IDE is not enough, it would be great if we
could get someone to write a a book or something on gnome development

The GLib chapter is almost finished:
https://people.gnome.org/~swilmet/glib-gtk-dev-platform.pdf
https://github.com/swilmet/glib-gtk-book

It's a very early version. I didn't make any announcement yet, but I'll
try to find the time this year to continue the content. If other
developers want to write some chapters, I would welcome any
contribution.

I know the introduction is not great, I should maybe move the discussion
about the C language to an appendix. But what is more important is the
chapters. Usually the introduction is written when the content is
finished, to know what to introduce.

The code examples are in C, but if you think JavaScript is important for
GNOME, then write another book ;-) Anyway the goal of the book I'm
writing is also to explain how to write libraries, and the C language is
the recommended language for libraries (if you use GLib/GObject).

Sébastien