Re: you know...

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 08:49:11 -0800 Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:36 AM, Ekaterina Gerasimova
<kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:

It would be great, but writing a good book takes a lot of time and
effort

The right answer here is a collaborative book with many examples.

It could start as a wiki, unless someone wants to write a git-based back end to open office, abiword or even
gedit to let people review changes and work together.

Indeed.  Also, it will be out of date a year after publishing given
how fast we are developing new things.

Again the authoritative source would need to be online. But if the GNOME infrastructure is so unstable that a
printed book becomes useless in six months to a year, what good is it? That would seem a much more pressing
problem to me.

Another approach would be to organise something along the lines of a
book sprint.

Yes, I've heard Adam Hyde speaking about these events.

 The only problem doing it from
a 'community' perspective is that we won't be able to write things in
a single 'voice'.  Or rather, we will need a good editor that can warp
it into a single voice.  It is a little off putting when one chapter
is using a different set of word choices than another [...]

Yes, editing is an important part of publishing, as is assessing the market -- that is, who will benefit most
from the work and what do they need.