Re: Keeping external resources updated

On 24 August 2015 at 18:48, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 2:45 AM Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:

On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 17:18 +0200, Ekaterina Gerasimova wrote:
Hi all,

there are a number of external resources about GNOME which are used
by
people for information. I am specifically thinking about the pages on
Wikipedia here, but I'm sure that there is other stuff as well. It
would look more professional if GNOME's public-facing resources are
at
least correct.

Is the engagement team willing to maintain at least the most
prominent
of these resources? Would it help to have a list of them with
frequencies on how often they should be checked?

For example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Foundation - had an old list of
board members (fixed now) and doesn't have up-to-date information
about the Foundation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_GNOME_Project - is out of date
(apparently next GUADEC is in A Coruña)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Users_And_Developers_European_Con
ference
is… well, dull and outdated

Remember that it's best for people external to the core GNOME project
to update those (to avoid astro-turfing accusations), and make sure to
include external references when making updates (not only links to
gnome.org websites).

Yes, that's what I remember.. that we ourselves can't update it, but
external contributors.  That's why I was suggesting Sumana or someone else
so we don't get accused of putting our own agenda in the Wikipedia entry.

Going by that logic, if we ask anyone to update it, they're in the
same situation that we are in. Having said that, afaik, it's not a
problem for updates to be made as long as they are factually correct
(for example, next GUADEC location, current board list and so on). The
issue only arises if adding new information or removing existing parts
of the text as that can be interpreted as trying to make the article
read in a certain light.

sri

Cheers