interesting article on attracting volunteers

A friend of mine at work gave me a link to this during a discussion we had.

https://medium.com/@kentcdodds/first-timers-only-78281ea47455

One other thing that I gleaned out of this is that it seems that there are other areas where we can advertise gnome-love bugs and not just in our GNOME bugzilla.  I think we really should be thinking about how to advertise gnome-love bugs external to our own bugserver.  Asking contributors to look at our bugzilla requires that someone hears about us in the first place.

So, another approach is not only to talk about our community, but also introduce GNOME to the wider world through our easy bugs that people can do with a mentor.  It shouldn't be hard mentor them as the bugs are really easy.  But it will require that we give them good documentation on how to setup a development environment which I think are doing okay on that front.

https://internetbugbounty.org/
https://hackerone.com/
http://www.codetriage.com/
http://openhatch.org/

and speaking of bugs, what do you guys think about this?
http://www.bugloghq.com/

As way to get bug reports on just our applications vs our core stack?  Would that be something maintainers could get behind to get more feedback on our applications vs the entire stack?  Sorry, just trying to get ideas on how to go beyond GNOME for these kind of things.