Re: West Coast Summit and systemd.conf

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 9:49 AM Christian Hergert <christian hergert me> wrote:
On 08/19/2015 09:27 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> I'm trying to convince Lennart to co-locate systemd.conf 2016 with us in
> Portland.  If we have them and opensuse hackdays, we could have a really
> awesome event.  I'm hoping some others can approach him about it.  The
> audience that we could attract would be amazing.  Plus, Lennart wouldn't
> have to do any work in setting up, the local team here would be doing
> all the work, he would just have to worry about paper submission and the
> like.

It seems weird to have systemd.conf in the US and not in SF. That's
where most of the users are. The number of people that will just show up
due to proximity is huge.

That's true.. but I don't really want to change the venue based on that.  I think SFO would be expensive on that front compared to PDX.  Let's see if Lennart is interested, if so then we could possibly change the venue if it creates more exposure for GNOME by proxy.  So we don't have to rule out SFO completely.  The goal is more important than the venue, but there are some benefits for both.  SFO = consumers of systemd and/or distro engineering, PDX = possibly some benefits for systemd from the hardware/distro engineering.

Additionally, we'd almost certainly get support from CoreOS too.

Brandon would show up.  Brandon's family is in Porltand so he always enjoys an excuse to come up. :-)  So CoreOS will come regardless of where it is and we could possibly bring the others as well.

-- Christian