Re: Writing an article for opensource.com

On 08/15/2015 01:08 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
Otherwise, have we improved anything?  Ultimately, this methodology is a
win for GNOME and to some extent a loss for distros.  But it isn't
completely so, as QA for distros will go substantially down as well as
the number of bugs found.  There can be more focus on hardware and
distro engineering at that point which will overall bring quality higher.

Nobody said anything about "Branded Environments".

The conflation of runtimes and distros is common. Fedora, openSuse,
Debian, and others would be free to implement the runtime however they
see fit. There is no need to "kill distros" to get the security and
distribution models we want from developer and user standpoints. It
does, however, allow for innovation here.

GNOME, for example, would specify what a GNOME runtime means. (Same goes
FreeDesktop, KDE, and others). It could be a collection of libraries,
services, files, particular file locations, etc. Distributions are free
to implement the runtime using packages.

Just because we (GNOME in this case) will define what a runtime is
inside the xdg-app container, doesn't mean that is how it has to be
outside the container.

GNOME can, of course, provide a reference implementation of the runtime.
And that would likely be provided via GNOME Continuous (which currently
builds using some Yocto components).

-- Christian