Re: [General Info] Plan for GUADEC 2015 videos

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 1:49 , Alexandre Franke <alexandre franke gmail com> wrote:
What about the GNOME Design channel[0]?

True, although this seems more oriented for showing behind the scenes stuff.

Also, I thought Youtube had a concept of channels where a single place could be referencing and advertising all of their channels?

From what I can see it seems we can advertize other channels on the GNOMEDesktop channel but I don't know if videos from other channels then reaches out to the 4k followers we have there..

What do you think? If you have concerns, feel free to express them. If there are no major concerns I think we can probably expect to have the videos uploaded within a week.
My concern when uploading to Youtube is that we're contributing to a centralized Internet, and as a Free Software project we should care about the decentralized Internet cause. Of course I'm aware that we'll still have the videos on the GNOME server, but that's not enough as people will lazily rely on Youtube in the end, or may even stumble upon things on Youtube and never even be aware that we actually offer the videos elsewhere (with slides and everything).

The current strategy to confront this has been to explicitly upload to videos.guadec.org first and promote this video location through social media as the first class citizen (hoping the guadec servers can handle the traffic).

But we also have 4000 subscribers on the GNOMEDesktop youtube channel and having the videos searchable from a platform as big as youtube can benefit us from an engagement POV.

-Bastian